Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Friday, August 24, 2007

They mop the carpets

It has taken me an hour to log on to this blog. Sheeh.

So Ethiopia:

They have bakeries, but they don't have delicatessens.

They have blu tac, but don't have tampons.

They are obsessed with polished shoes.

They are very good looking people.

They mop their carpets.

They say 'No problem' whenever there is a problem but don't want to be responsible for it.

My mother (who since I last wrote has cruised up the inside passage of Canada, been to Alaska, seen glaciers, whales, eagles and been pulled on a summer sledge by huskies. I think she is in Vancouver now) has emailed me your comments. I'll reply to them here... sorry for this. Africa can be inconvenient sometimes.

Hi TH. I don't have your email, get mine off the dashing Mr. Sparks and drop me a line. Also ask him if he fancies meeting in Palestine June next year. I'll see you in London in July 2008.

Hi Cairo Gal. If you can find a way around the blocked sites let me know. I know that it is possible to download programs that make it possible.

Hey Mistress Lenore. Thanks for your email. Chocolate usually is fine in the post. I used to send it when I lived in Switzerland. But I have found imported chocolate here (exotic brands like Nestle and Cabreys), so can keep myself supplied. Hurrah.

Ok, That done, what is happening here? Well, the summer school is over. My mite bites have pretty much disappeared after finishing off the sulphur creme and moving on to what the pharmacist described as 'human skin pesticide'. I have moved out of the family home and am staying in a hotel in the city till Liam's visa comes though and we'll head north. So it's all good.

I getting down a bit. I had a really shit morning a couple of Wednesdays ago. I hadn't had a proper shower in a few weeks, I had eaten spaghetti and red sauce for 9 meals straight (breakfast, lunch and dinner for 3 days). So I was feeling sick, dirty and in need of a hug and some vegetables. Where I stayed the toilet was right next to the guard dog who is forever kept on an incredibly short leash. He sees me as a threat and chocks himself trying to get me. This particular morning he chocked himself violently as a went to the toilet, when I left with the empty water bucket to fill it up, and by the time I returned the poor mis-treated creature was strangling himself trying to attack me. Not the best way to start a day.

We were late to school as usual. Time is not a priority, which stresses me out because as a teacher it kinda need to get to class on time (so I can chastise the students who come late). The low light of the morning was turning up to school and seeing the body of a dead boy lying on the street. The police were there standing about. I don't know who the kid was. I think he was a street kid who had died sleeping by the road during the night.

So that afternoon I couldn't handle cramming into a minibus of 20 screaming children to return to the house with 5 (or so) screaming children. So I took public transport and wandered about the city instead. I felt much better after that.

Tomorrow Liam and I will head north (Allah and Sudanese immigration willing) I shall stay for a few days and then return to Addis, Liam will return to Khartoum. When I get back I'll move into my new apartment with the two Americans. I have seen the apartment. It's HUGE. it's 3 stories (one story for each of living there) it has a massive 8 foot wall to protect it. There is a maid's quarters too. And it is only 15 mins walk from the school. At the moment it is not furnished but should be by the time I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home