Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Raw meat, TV and Narcotics

If you are ever in a foreign country, doesn't matter which one, any country, and they offer you a local delicacy... it is going to be something gross. Whether it is Black pudding in Scotland, Salt soup in Switzerland, Kina in New Zealand. "local delicacy" means "food we don't eat all the time because it is actually disgusting, but we make visitors eat it". in Ethiopia it's raw meat.

Last week the school had it's big opening day. it was a huge affair with the mayor and the press. There was ribbon cutting, tree planting, flower giving and a huge feast of raw meat sliced from freshly slaughtered sheep and cows. you just take your plate to the carcass and point to which bit you want to eat. Yum. I went for the raw mince meat, still warm and mixed with chili.

The mayor was shown around the school, I met him in the library where he greeted me in English (phew), and suggested that I contact my government and ask them to send school books to Ethiopia. I smiled and nodded and repeated information about the library I had heard the day before (we have 1500 books, 1000 in English and 500 in Amharic, the library seats 80 students... blah, blah blah). And out of the whole day, it was that moment that was screened on the Ethiopian news, twice, and in 3 languages. So I have been on telly here 6 times now. I didn't get into the newspaper though.

I have emailed the two other native English speaking teachers who shall be coming at the end of the month. Both are from the US, both are female. and both sound really cool. Ebony and Sarah. I'm looking forward to them arriving. It will be nice to live with people from my own culture (well sort of same) . And I'm also looking forward to getting to know people long term. Actually form a base, and friends and a life here.

The staff at the school are really nice. This weekend I might visit a church with one,I think he wants to convert me. I'm just interested in seeing the architecture, ritual, and ambiance of an Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Also the computing teacher is really nice. She is unusual in that she doesn't aspire to marriage, and she loves her freedom. She has never been out of Ethiopia before, so I told her to get a passport and in the mid year holidays we'll go to Eritrea together. That's when I found out what the other teachers get paid: They get 1100 birr which is 121 USD, while I get 4000 birr which is 440 USD.

I thought I got double the amount, not triple. Seems more than unfair given that I have a one month teaching certificate when the other teachers mostly have a teaching degree and loads of experience. Hmmm, I don't know how I'm going to resolve this in my head. It doesn't seem that ethical.

Still haven't got the apartment. I got some sulphur cream from the chemist for the bites on my skin. They have subsided but not totally disappeared and I smell like a volcano. Oh, to have a shower, with lovely hot running water.

The best news of the week is the appearance of Liam. He was a volunteer in Sudan. and an awesome guy. he was who I was with when we got caught in the teargas at the wrestling. He is getting a new visa for Sudan, He popped up to Somalia and is now down south. I was sitting in an internet cafe on the weekend and he walked in. We spend a pleasant evening smoking shisha (something I really missed from Sudan) and chewing Chat (or Qat) , the local narcotic. It is leaves that you chew off stalks. it tastes like, well, leaves. and gives a hit like caffeine. wakes you up. Maybe this is why Ethiopians like to dance so much.

Next week summer school ends and I have a weeks holiday. I hope to head north, and if Liam is still kicking about, go with him as he returns to Sudan. There are some amazing island monasteries and a beautiful waterfall in the north. I know I haven't even been teaching for a month, but I think I deserve a break. I really don't travel enough.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RWFR,

I know I don't email enough...and that this doesn't compare, but I'm back in London, living with Sparks...he talks about you a lot! He talks a lot in general! :-)

Hope you resolve your ethical dilemmas, and have a holiday, and come back soon.

TH:-)

4:52 am  
Blogger Susan said...

LOL...A grandmother they bring out on special occasions and seemingly subservient members of family? I like your writing style...there's got to be a way around the blocked blog...lemme look into this and get back to you.

6:39 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home