Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Still in Nairobi

Yep, the pace of Africa races along at the speed of evolution. I'm still here, I'm still waiting. What I am waiting for seems to change daily but the waiting remains the same.

I'm waiting for the Ethiopian Embassy in Melbourne to confirm that I can apply for a business visa after I have already entered the country on a tourist visa. I'm waiting for the bus/truck north not to have 'problems'.

I manage to happily spread out the day with staring into space, playing solitaire, chatting to the residents and guests at the hostel and reading. I am trying to spend as little money as possible. and I'm delighted to discover that the Masai market bead jewellery makers are happy to trade their goods for, well anything. My solitaire has improved since I found the missing 4 cards last night. The hostel guests keep disappearing on safari tours and returning with stories and photos of lions bringing down wilder beast and other magnificent experiences. I'm almost finished 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins, I began reading a friend's copy in Sudan and have now bought the paperback. Good book, I don't know how willing I am going to be to trade it at the scondhand bookshop, but I still won't give up my book on tarot card reading.

Staring into space has been productive too... I now have my guest list for my ultimate dinner party: Missy and Dave, Jonathan Ross and Jane Goldman, Richard Dawkins and Britney Spears, Helen Clark and Marilyn Manson, Derren Brown and Myself. The menu will include at least 3 different kinds of lasagna and 3 different kinds of chocolate moose. I'm still considering my ultimate dead people dinner party... but Muhammad, Jesus and Marilyn Munro would have to get an invite.

When I'm on the bus I ponder random things like what would I do if I suddenly became invisible. I have decided that I'd still have a pretty good career assisting friends in burlesque and ghost tours, I'd make an excellent magician's assistant and maybe move into MI6.

Do you also get the feeling I'm spending far to much time by myself?

Today I lost my keeper. The keeper is also known as a mooncup (http://www.keeper.com/), it's a rubber cup that I use as an alternative to tampons. I served me well for 6 years, I accidental dropped it down the loo in the hostel today (the kind of loo you don't retrieve stuff from). So, back to conventional methods I guess, well at least I can buy tampons here (can't in Sudan). And while I'm expressing loss and you are squirming, I lost my other nipple ring too. *sigh* It got infected and I just decided to let it go. I have made up for it with a collection for Masai beaded belly chains.

Obviously nothing significant to report, but that doesn't stop me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home