Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Update Map

Love maps. I'm in Burundi, tomorrow I'll hopefully make through the Tanzania border and then (on the red line of future travel) I'll get a train to the coast, Flic will most likely accompany me for the first half of the train ride they she will cycle to North Tanzania. I don't know what I'm doing. The volunteer programme I had intended to do here actually expected me to pay fees... I'm now on my last 500 pounds (not bad since I left the UK with 2000 pounds and have managed to make it last 9 months so far. So I must find work. Either volunteer with a sustenance wage, or an internship, or other work... and If that means I have to leave Africa for a while, then so be it.

I was hoping to stay here (in Africa) for another year and a bit then return to Scotland in July 2008 (I will need to get a new passport then) and spent July-Aug 2008 there doing hospitality work and catching up with old friends before resigning myself back to NZ to stagnate or go to Art School or get a real job and be a productive member of society or something. But that is all in the future: right now I have 48 mosquito bites, Whitney Huston belts out power ballads on the radio and the news is announced in Swahili just as loud on the other radio, a local goes though all his telephone ring tones and after one hour Lycos mail still hasn't opened.


3 Comments:

Blogger Mick said...

How come your blue line doesn't go over to Hurghada, on the Red Sea? Didn't we go swimming in the Red Sea? Didn't I see a big snake? Tell me I wasn't dreaming, or I'll think I'm really going mad! Hope Flic's back on the road soon, with a new bike. Much love, Mick x

3:21 am  
Blogger Mick said...

PS - you'll need to come round for your tea when you get back to Scotland. I should get back before you. :-)

3:23 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Mick... I owe you so many emails! and I need to keep up with your blog, I scan over the photos, looks amazing.

Yep, I reduced all my diverging lines to the direct route, I took the train down to luxor, and then backtracked to cairo for the Visa and then down again via Hurgada.

Flic won't be riding any tme soon. but I'm sure she will back with family and friends in Aus soon and fully recovered for her sisters wedding in December.

I'll let you know when I'm in the neibouthood so you can put the kettle on.

6:38 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home