Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Looking back at Uganda

Best thing brought: Well I didn't actually bring my mother, but meeting up with her was a pretty good idea.

Worst thing brought: Bad memory for PIN numbers.

Best thing bought: Rolex: which is a chapati and an omelet rolled together for about 30c US.

Worst thing bought: Internet time on a computer that took one hour to open my email but shut down just before I got to read it.

Most surprising: That I haven't been maimed in a motorbike accident or got malaria yet... actually the thing that has held me back most is waiting for a British bank letter to arrive... approx 3 weeks of down time.

Typically Ugandan: Fabulous hair bright clothes incredible arse.

What's accepted: Staring.

What's not accepted: Staring back.

What works: Tourism.

What doesn't work: Electricity, they have the source of the Nile and one of the worlds most powerful waterfalls, but what little hydro electrics they do make gets sold to Kenya who sells it back to Uganda for a profit (an agreement was made a long time ago). So they import diesel to run their generators.

I knew I was in Africa when: Listening to someone go though all their ringtones on the bus didn't annoy me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

24th April. Happy Birthday Rachel!. What a fantastic journey and life you are leading. Through reading your fantastic blog I have learnt so much more about the world (and about toilets!) and about you! Have a great day. Dad

12:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should of course be 24th May! Perhaps I was thinking of someone else!! Dad

12:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday and many happy returns to come...i wish you all good things, always....
cat
xxx

5:27 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks heaps both of you!

It's only midday but so far I'm having a great day, I think I'm going to treat myself to some fresh pineapple tonight.

1:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home