Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Back in the Southern Hemisphere

On Tuesday I picked up my Rwandan visa, hitched a lift with a kind Dutch lass I met in the Embassy and crossed the equator to a little border town in Uganda.

Yesterday was totally spent travelling a relatively short distance. I got from Uganda though to the Rwandan capital (Kigali) in the middle of the country then out to where I am now next to the Congolese border where I have met up with Flic. She (of course) also has a blog: www.wanderingword.com/nucleus/rad.php .

Tomorrow we'll pop over to Congo. There is a volcano there that looks awesome, we intend to climb it and stay the night up there. It's going to be ace. The Congo night life is reported to be fantastic too.

It's nice to be on the move again. I'm heading south into winter while those in Sudan are moving swiftly into an intense summer. I still see Orion's belt every night, it is now starting to turn upside down... or maybe it's the right way up. Actually this is the first time in 5 years that I have been in my home hemisphere. And of course the moon that looks like this ) when it is waxing in the North and like this ( in the South and has been smiling or frowning at me on the equator is starting to turn.

I'm speaking French a bit, mainly by speaking English with a bad French accent, and I'm not dealing with this French keyboard at all well. But even when I was in English speaking Uganda I had problems trying to understand people... and people refused to believe that English is my first and only language as to them I speak so badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home