Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Uni students say the darnest things.

I really enjoy hearing what the students have to say. But I don't overly enjoy teaching English. I love the opinions, ideas and points of views. Here are some snippets of class conversations paraphrased.

3rd year English: "So, there maybe another Clinton leading the US" class

Me: Do you think women make good world leaders?
Mustaffa: No, women can not ever make good presidents.
Me: *raise eyebrows*
Mustaffa: They don't have the experience in these matters. They do not have good intelligence, they are not made for thinking like men. they do not have the right ability.
Me: *raise eyebrows to the rest of the class*
Intisa: Isn't that what they used to say about black people in America?

Engineering students; "tell me about Sudan" class

Mohammad: Sudan has all sorts of people of all colours from dark black through to pale white.
Me: White like me?
Mohammad: Oh no Miss Rayshell, you are not white.
Me: *raise eyebrows*
Mohammad: you are pink
Me: Ah yes, pink and white and yellow with orange dots.
Mohammad: Yes, what are those things?
Me: Freckles.
Mohammad: *raises eyebrows*

Zoology students: "So what's wrong with Jews anyway" class

Marwa: I think if you was taking this class in Israel and trying to convince them that Arabs are not so bad your students will probably also disagree with you.
Me: I think you might be right
Marwa: Before we had English club I was afraid for talking. I would always take so long to think before I say anything, then it would be so late. Now you say things so wrong so I must talk and it becomes more easy. I think you just make controversy so we talk lot.
(smart girl)

Conversation with my boss at the newspaper:

Boss: Khawaga (foreigner), what is your name?
Me: Rachel.
Boss: Huh?
Me: Rayshell.
Boss: Ah Russia, tell me, how is working here?
Me: Fine thank you.
Boss: *raises eyebrows*
Me: Honestly, it is not the most efficient office I have worked in.
Boss: Why?
Me: Well I spend most of my time checking my email, playing solitaire and using the Internet; and you are paying me to do this.
Boss: Right, I see your point, that's not very good. So do you want us to change that then.
Me: Actually it's fine by me, I just thought you should know.

3rd year English "How are we messing up the Environment" Class

Me: In pairs write a list of all the different products we get from the oil industry. Any Questions?
Abdulla: Yes. What do you call your grandfather's grandfather?
Me: *draws family tree diagram on the board, explains what different people call each other*
Abdalla: So you call this unsest?
Me: Unsest? oh, Incest, no that is when family members have sex.
Abdalla: *raises eyebrows*
Me: *points to a different family members on the diagram* It's if you were to marry your sister or parent, that would be called incest. In my county we extend that to cousins, Aunts and Uncles as well.
Abdalla: *furrows eyebrows together* Uncest? I mean maybe uncesta.
Me: OH, ANcestors, oh sorry, that's different.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love you finding out the difference between ancestor and incest!! Guess they are both to do with the family tree though. M

7:42 pm  
Blogger fiona said...

very very funny!!!!

10:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud reading them!

xxx

3:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny! I needed a laugh too. Thanks!

T:-)

6:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! that was so funny and i enjoyed reading it too! it really did make me laugh!

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home