Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

It's still hot, but I'm allowed to travel south

It's quite windy toda, don't think that means it's cooler. I'm sweating in places that i didn't know sweated. I'm discovering shin sweat and elbow sweat and top of the foot sweat... hell even my eyeballs are sweating. That might be a result of the dust that is kicked up by the winds.

I told my students the story about being caught up in the riot at the wrestling. Except, in the version they got, I wasn't face down in the dirt; I was sprinting heroically at the front of the crowd scooping up small children and delivering them to safety (just how I had imagined I would be in that sort of situation). I was expecting my students to marvel at my experience, or at least be awe inspired by the dramatic and animated re-telling of the story. Turns out every one of my students has been caught up in a riot at some point and all have experienced tear-gas. So it was just a case of the weird foreign teacher getting over excited about a mundane occurrence.

So far the red tape is going well. The volunteer programme facilitator fired the last coordinator (I get the feeling he like firing people) and hired a lass called Nuha. She has been three times as efficient as the previous coordinator (and I hear she gets paid a third as much... but that is to be expected given that she is female so even if her abilities are superior she lacks a Y cromozone so is innately inferior, see I'm learning stuff here). Nuha has removed a lot of the anxiety from the process by simply being available and honest. I have been down to the department of humanitarian affairs 4 times. I have spent a lot of my time there siting in small rooms staring at men behind desks who seem to do nothing all day accept staring at each other, and occasionally reading the newspaper. I now have a travel permit, this doesn't mean I'll be able to make it overland... it means I'm allowed to try. Exit and entry visas next. Sorry, traveling can be really dull sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home