Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Salami, Shuffle and Strappy heels.

I'm healthy again. I'm not going to enter the Olympics but I can walk, I'm getting over the flu and the random collection of insect bites and stings are slowly fading back into normal looking skin. Awesome.

Also loads of great things have happened. I was just choosing to ignore them before and focus on the crap. Sorry bout that.

Anna's husband James arrived a few days ago, he's here for two weeks. Francis (Anna's son who was visiting last month) loaded him down with salami, pepperami, pepperoni, good chocolates and other luxuries that just can't be bought here. So it could be seen that James (a vicar) became a mule for smuggling pork products into an Islamic state just so we can enjoy really great sandwiches. Brilliant.

Francis also added a wee gift just for me. A really small gift... a tiny (about 2x3cm) hot pink, Ipod shuffle mp3 player. ohmygosh. an IPOD SHUFFLE! what did I do to deserve this? So I have it currently hooked up to Rinee's computer to charge up. I found on her computer a music folder titled "big fat funky mix" from Angus, the same guy who gave me the phrase "sweating like a chimp in a gimp suit". (Actually Francis also gave me the phrase "sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish shop". there is a lot of opportunities to have sweating smileys here.) So soon I'll be smoking my shisha listening to a big fat funky mix on my brand new ipod shuffle. Wicked.

On Saturday I was hanging out a Rinee's place making masquerade ball masks for a US/UK embassy staff ball she had managed to get tickets to. Then Rosa (who was accompanying Rinee) called to say that she wasn't going and that if I wanted her (100 usd) ticket I was welcome to it. Hell yes! Fantastic.

There was a little bit of a maria-from-the-sound-of-music moment was a beautiful teal curtain was transformed into a sari and a gift bag into a mask. With a small cosmetic shop of make up and a kilo or so of jewelery everything was perfect. Rinee looked stunning in a sliver outfit she had bought over from England. The ball was fantastic. It was like we were not in Sudan. there was alcohol and high heels (my flip-flops were mostly hidden under my sari). wine, dancing, food, people with very long job titles... and the the question lingering in my mind... when these people packed to live in Sudan at what point did they decided to throw in a Venetian mask, a tuxedo or a pair of strappy heels? and what kind of baggage allowance do these people have?

Chatted to loads of NGO and Embassy workers. I have a coffee date on Tuesday with a Canadian UN envoy who is currently in Dafur. I'll keep you posted.

4 Comments:

Blogger fiona said...

hey! glad you are feeling better and got a chance to do what you do best (dressing up) would love too see photos of your outfit

5:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foxy!

Love your blog - just read four months at once. Your writing is so funny, intelligent, informative... everything a good blog should be! And am glad I found you when your story is happy. Enjoy your pink Ipod shuffle... We miss you in Edinburgh!

Jane xxx

5:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Rachel,

Wow!!! I am glad you made it to Africa!!! Yay!!!
I caught up with Naomi this week and she told me about your blog, so I have been catching up on some of what you have been up to, sounds amazing... and full on!! i am sorry i havent been in touch but i changed email address to gmail...anyway good to hear about your adventures...by the way I think you are a great writer!!!
^_^ Jo xxx

10:39 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Fiona,
I'll get photos up as soon as I can, I don't have my own camera so I'm dendant on getting pics from others cameras until i can fix or replace my battery charger.

Jane!
thanks babe... I still get twinges when i walk past a pole of suitable diameter.

Hey Jo
Yep, finally got here. glad to hear from you. I'll email you at what-i-think-is-your-email at gmail and you email me at myway.com if that doesn't work i still check rachel.walton@lycos.com
Hugs
Rach

5:02 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home