Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Flic's had an Accident

She's ok, her family have been in touch and it seems she is recovering in the best possible way, in good hands and being taken care of. I'm not with her and like everyone who knows her I'm feeling rather impotent and helpless.

After spending a couple of mosquito infested nights in The Burundi capital of Bujumbura catching up on old Britney Spears videos, feasting on the best food since Uganda, browsing craft markets, swimming in the lakes and of course going through the usual logistics of travel planning and red tape of extending out 3 day visas, we arranged to meet in a scummy hotel in Kigoma, a little town across the border in Tanzania.

We woke up at 6am (I set my phone alarm) and left just before 7am, Flic was pumping up the tires on Edward when I left her. My bus over took her on the road about an hour into the journey at 9am. She had stopped on a bridge, I yelled out the window like a total chav (ned, skeemi, occa, bogan) but she (amazingly considering my shouting voice) didn't hear me.

I got into the agreed hotel at about 5pm (that is as scummy as the guide book promised with added extras of no running water and the smell of burning rubber mixed with decomposing fish). after dinner I went in search of an internet cafe to warn Flic to get her departure stamp from a hidden building about 20km before the border. I noticed too when I crossed the border my phone beeped, I didn't turn it off after using it for the alarm and my sim card seems to work throughout Tanzania despite it being Ugandan.

My phone rang in the evening. A voice introduced herself as Felicity's mother informed me that Felicity has had an accident, she was unconscious and in hospital in Burundi. I only know one Felicity, a ghost tour guide I worked with in Edinburgh... why would her mother be calling me? It took a few seconds to register Flic's Sunday name. I would like to think that I was composed and calm during the conversation, I said I would go straight back to Burundi to be with her. After I hung up, the shock hit me and I broke down and cried, this attracted a much larger and more silent crowd of starers than usual.

From what I understand from a few phone conversations (with annoying and confusing time delays that I didn't think happened in international calls anymore) was that Flic had been hit, she was found by a Catholic medical Aid NGO worker unconscious on the road, her bike (Edward) was gone but the luggage (that was attached to Edward and contained passport etc) was still there. They took her immediately to hospital and managed to get in contact with all the right people, her parents, insurance, foreign office and British Embassy which in turn contacted the Australian Embassy in Kenya.

Flic has since regained consciousness and movement and was showing all the signs of a healthy recovery. In my head I would like to believe that she was saved by her dreadlocks cushioning the blow, I have no idea what actually happened. Last I heard, she was being flown to Kenya or South Africa for better medical treatment. I expect nothing less than a full and complete recovery.

I've only known Flic a month, by have spent more time with her than anyone one else this year. She's Awesome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really sorry to hear about Flic. I hope that you are able to get up to date information on how she is, or better still are able to be in contact with her. A pity that Edward has gone, as he would be of great sentimental value to her. Please tell her that I am thinking of her.
Trust that you have met up with some temporary good company to keep your spirits up. M

10:25 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey, thanks, It seems like she is doing ok. She was the last blankie I spoke to (5 days ago maybe). I'm sure I'll find other foreigners when I get to the coast. I'm glad she's in Nairobi.

6:24 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home