Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Still waiting to get settled.

The school is still in the process of gettng me the correct paperwork. I spent an afternoon with the school's director ping-ponging between various government offices. If we were taking a survey then about 85% of civil servents say there is no problem for me to get a work permit. However no one will put anything on paper (accountability is lackng is a lot of places here) and higer up the beuoracy chain they say no. So the school is looking into all options. They are very good.

Teaching is going OK. At frist I was freaked out about the idea of dealing with children. A wise friend (Dave) put it into perspective: "they are stupid and need to learn stuff, cause they are new. They are just new people." They are new, and they are not as bad as I thought they were going to be. Sometimes I can hold their attention, sometims I can't. It's kind of like doing a ghost tour, except the audience doesn't want to be there, it's during the say, they are all sitting down, you don't go anywhere, the information changes everytime you do it, it's not scarey, or interesting, or entertaining. OK, it's nothing like doing a ghost tour.

I wear a white lab coat, all the teachers do, it's our uniform. I quite like it. I feel it gives me a sort of mad-professior typ authority. I have my pens sticking out of my top left pocket and a pile of broken chalk in my bottom right pocket. Each staff member has their own duster. I have customisd mine with black marker and purple nail polish.

I am having a bit of difficulty remembering the names of the 100 or so kids and 60 or so staff. Their are names that I can seem to remember ok like Fitusum and Mintysnot (he was wearing pale green too which helps) but Addishiwot, Ewnetu, Alemayehu and Nuhamin don't exactly roll off my tounge.

I still am not in the appartment. The appartment that they wre lookn at fell though, so they are looking for a new one. The family I stay with is very rich, in the house (which is 3 seperate buildings around one courtyard) there are 13 people including me and a grandma who only gets brought out on special occations. There is satalite TV, 3 lounges and 3 maids (who I thought were subservent members of the family). But all the kids share rooms, the 6 year old sleeps in a cot in her parents room, there is one squatty toilet for all of us, and no running water. Priotys are different here.

My mother has emailed me some of your comments. Mums are great arn't they.

Thanks Mistress. 1st day went well, sorry we've lost the myspace connection. Have loads of fun at Yanky Doodle Candy. Blow a kiss to Missy for me.

Thanks M. my character is pretty built but can always do with renovations

Thanks Anon. I love Xena but don't suit a fringe. My Gabrielle got hit by a truck and is doing great back in melbourne.

Thanks Rosa. Congratulations on getting the visa. I missed seeing Liam, He's off in Somalia, I hope to catch him when her gets back

Thanks Flic. hope rehab is ok. I make you sound like a junkie. you must tell me how the minibus system works here.

And to the rest of you, Thank you for your emails. Sorry being so behind. I'll get back to you soon as.

1 Comments:

Blogger mistresslenore said...

Hey honey, just catching up on your posts after my holiday in Scotland, are you serious about sending chocolate, will it not melt??
xx

2:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home