Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Ethiopia: 13 months of sunshine

Before I came to Africa, my knowledge of Ethiopia was limited to a few impressions: the famine that inspired live aid in the 1980s, a connection to Jamaica and Rastifasim, The colours red, yellow, green and black, and the emotional image of the girl who got up on stage just before Madonna t the Live 8 concert a couple of years ago. I thought she had been scrubbed up pretty well by a stylist and P.R. team. She spoke with sounds I had never heard before.

Well, I'm just filling in the gaps. Ethiopia is staunchly independent and resiliently self centred.. i think we are going to get along just fine. Ethiopia was never colonised (there was a 5 year Italian occupation during WWII, but that doesn't count). They have their own language (Amaric), script (looks like some old alchemy texts), music (made for dancing), dance style (it's all in the shoulders), food (a pancake thing that has a crumpet texture and tastes like sour dough), religion (Ethiopian Orthodox Christian), time (starts at sunrise, so 12 noon is 6am) and calender (13 months). In Ethiopia it's 1999 and the millennium party is going to be in September... God created the Universe in September 3000 years ago apparently.




I'm settling into teaching. I teach 11-16 year olds, very happy I have the older kids... and super happy that their idea of primary school is a lot longer than my idea. I wear a white lab coat as my uniform. I have been told off for wearing too many bracelets, but I have compensated with and abundance of earrings and necklaces. Yes, I am petty.

My accommodation is not yet ready, I am itching to getting my own apartment (which I will share with the other foreign teachers when they arrive next month). I was in a hotel for a few nights. Now I have been moved into the family home of one of the school's owners. Lovely for the experience, but still craving my own space. All in good time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rosa said...

Hi Rach. Sounds cool, wish I was there...11-16 year olds is great, I had images of 5 year olds, yak! I think Nick did a year of teaching in Ethiopia as well..

I have a visa now and am heading to the UK on Wed, will stay there for 3 weeks and then back to Sudan. I hope to visit. Is Liam coming to visit you? Someone told me that....Take care, talk soon :)

5:05 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mate! Gots to say I ain't missin the injera so much or the constant Rasta calls. Glad things are goin' good for ya :-) ... Gots to more interestin' than rehab, lookin' forward to you comin' to Australia babe!!! xo Flic

8:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel. Just going through my addy book from travelling. I see you did in fact go to teach in Ethiopia so I guess the visa's got sorted! Incase you don't remember... it's Amanda. I stumbled in with Grace at 6am and woke you up at a backpackers in Nairobi. Then we chilled for the day before I ran off to catch a plane home. Now I'm less than two weeks until leaving for a 6 month job with OXFAM Quebec in Nicaragua. Crazy lives we lead huh! Hope all is well and that Ethiopia is all you hoped it would be!!!! Check out my blog if you want :) LATES!

12:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

3:05 pm  
Blogger africageri said...

Hi Rachel. I'm interested in applying for an ESL job I saw on a website for South West Academy. How did you apply for a job there? Was it from New Zealand from a website or did you go to Addis and find it there? Did they interview you from Ethiopia if you were in New Zealand? Geri

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RACHEL,

Sorry to ask through your comment section here, but I read one of your blogs that said you taught at South West Academy in Ethiopia - how do I contact them? I am a new ESL teacher and I read that they are hiring, yet when I try to google them - I end up going in circles.

SOS! please write a quick email to
Matthias Gautreaux (email address below...

matthiasmatthias@mail.com

thank you Rachel.

1:05 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home