Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Ethiopian Etiquette

I thought I'd get this out now, I don't know when I'll be able to log on again. But first comments:

Hey Derek: Sorry I've lost the myspace connection. I'm also sorry to be missing the festival. I'll be there for the next one.

Hey Fiona. Thanks heaps, sorry for all the spelling mistakes you will endure in your reading, I'm rubbish at spelling.

Right, Here is a beginners guide to Ethiopian etiquette for dinning in restaurants or with a wealthy family. The rules appear to be complex so this is only a rough guide from my recent observations.

It's mandatory that you wash your hands from a jug of stupidly cold water that is brought around by the maid or waiter. This can be quite a performance with people demonstrating one-hand-only style of washing, super vigorous washing, or extra thorougher washing in which the pressure between the hands is evident. I have noticed (for the first time in my life) that i concentrate on washing the thumb of my left hand and the middle finger of my right hand.

If the restaurant is a bit lower budget there is a wash basin present to wash with. In this case it seems important to turn the tap in as much as possible and leave it on. Anyone would think they didn't have problems with their water supply.

food is eaten from a communal plate with the right hand only. The plate is covered with the pancake like bread and the topping poured into the middle. always eat from your own side only, but if you want something from the other side snatch it, and place it on your own side before eating.

If you would like a guest to eat more food after she has eaten a lot already first say "eat, eat" (even if she has her mouth full and is chewing already). then take food from one side of the plate and put it in her section. Say "small, small"while pointing at the food. If she still looks like she isn't going to eat take the food with your right hand and try to put it in her mouth.

If you eat with local Ethiopians they will expect you to eat 3 times more than them. after eating your full you will be offered more food, simply say "no thank you". About 15 time usually does it.

It's ok to eat with your mouth open, actually I think it is expected. It's ok to spit, or drop food onto the floor(which in the house is carpet covered with plastic, but if it wasn't covered with plastic, they would mop it anyway) and put food that has been in your mouth back onto the communal plate.

It is ok for a small child (6 years old) to sit on the table, to eat from any plate or bowl and to play with her feet while eating on top f the table.

It's also ok to blow your hand and flick the snot onto the floor (as long as it is your left hand) or let your child blow their nose into you hand and flick it. This can be done at any time during, before of after the meal.

Yup. My up bringing and learning the rules of Swiss etiquette are working against me here. but I'll adapt, and when I return to the west I may have to re-adapt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home