Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Got My Visa!

Things can really change in a day. After I made that last post I took the letter I had printed out to the Embassy. They said that it was from the Ministry of Higher Education and I needed a letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, so I still had to wait a month for that to come through. I noticed that people were taking me more seriously when I mentioned my husband more and more (it was my husband who got the letters, my husband knows people in the Sudanese govenment). So I walked out the door, away from the men in brown uniforms and onto the street. Then I walked in another door, past security and up the stairs... I went and found a man in a office with his own desk wearing a grey suit. I explained that I was sent up to process my Visa, he sent me to the right office (litterally over the heads of the brown unform men who had refused me), I mentioned my husband a lot who by now had become an offical. The Visa was approved right away, right in front of my eyes. Yay.

Also I got chatting to other travelers littered about the Embassy. I found out that the price of the boat to Sudan down the Nile is not as expensive as I thought it was, overland seems better, slower, but better. I met Mick a Fifer (a man from the Kingdom of Fife in Scotland). We went to the American university bookstore where security takes passports. They asked Mick 'Is this yours?' refering to me, he admited ownership. He bought a Loney Planet Africa... commoney known amounst honkies in these parts as the bible. it was nicked 10 minutes later by a dodgy Italian who didn't look so dodgy when he asked if he could photocopy a few pages.

Mick is heading down to South Africa by motorbike, he asked me if I wanted a lift to Khartoum (a wee 2250km south), I of course replyed: 'Hell yes'. He also has a blog: www.mickrtw.blogspot.com/ I did mention that my backpack is about half my body weight. He seems to think that is fine. He met two other motorcyclists heading the same way, so I think the idea is to link together into a crew... It's almost like I've joined a motorcycle gang.

I don't think I have ever posted the volunteer organisation I shall be working for: www.svp-uk.com just thought you should know.

Often people on the street call out as I walk past, normally 'hello' and 'whereyoufrom' Star once got: 'your legs, horse.' said as a compliment. when we were in Luxor one sunglasses seller asked me 'why your freind so angry' in response to star's netural facial expression 'because she's been hassled' 'ah, she get more hassle because she more pretty'. So this evening I got 'where your hair?'

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hela hola,

That's just amazing. I must begrudgingly admit that apparently husbands sometimes are useful. Who would have known... When I will cry into my pillow tonight over this upheaval of my universe I will console myself with the fact that they are only pretend-husbands that make our lives easier. I can still have faith that the real thing would be shambolic...

However, I am so impressed and happy for you. And even taking the backseat on a bike to Sudan would beat getting up tomorrow morning to present myself at 8:30 at TEFL to go and observe the brats I will teach. With Khaled. I have to be in a car with Khaled. And teaching children. Can you believe it, they gave me children. What is wrong with them?

Let me know if you need me to send any communiqees to your email rather than unload here. I'm just lazy; you are now a staple favourite page on my laptop...

Mick sounds cool. Thought for a moment you'd run in to Liam who'd changed his plans and created an alter-ego...

Hold on tight.
Star

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your husband is becoming more and more of an asset with each hour! Just realise that in reality this is not the case!! But please continue to make the most of his attributes.
All the best for your journey south. I hope that it is full of fun and it would be nice if it was hassle free, however you know that that won't be the case. Just be ever so nice to border guards, they like to weld their power. Tell Mike that you are precious and that if he doesn't treat you well he will have me to deal with! Cheers M

2:48 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Heya Star,
Khaled and children... never a fun combination. I hope the Arabic is coming along ok. I have been learing words like: stop, mechanic, broken and husband. I have yet to use them all in the same sentence.I'm glad Alex is a bit colder now, perhaps you could buy one of those winter duvets or a woolen jumper. By the way, Mick came the Tunisia, Libia way. He didn't have a guide and got given 5 litres of petrol at the boarder. He got his Visa in Tunis. Luck of the draw perhaps. You could refer Liam to his blog if he's interested.

And hi M,
The boarder gaurds are all youngins on their military service. The just seem to want to stop just for a chat. Just so you know for the next wee while internet possibitys might become sporadic. Sudan is a great bid sandpit up North. So no news is good news.

9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home