Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Hope for a job

I know I'll find a job somewhere, but there are so many really bad jobs out there and looking is always hellish, then I was flicking through the BBC Africa site and noticed ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5317034.stm ) that tattoos are becoming a craze in Benin (a small sliver of a country next to Togo, which is a a small sliver of a country next to Ghana which has really good pineapples... http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/africa ) and they do it badly, really badly, I have only tattooed fake skin and vegetables, but I did a pretty good job on a capsicum once... I see a job opportunity here... and any country that has a Voodoo Day is worth visiting in my book. I'm most likely not going to become a tattoo artist in Benin, but it is always nice to know that the the possabilitys are limitless.

I listen to an English program 'Good Morning Egypt' on my radio each morning to get the most poorly delivered news and uninteresting banter (today was a disscussion about types of chocolate... white, dark, some with nuts in it, some plain). But the news is local and the coverage of the Israli conflict differers greatly from the western perspective. What they miss I pick up on the BBC website, Steve Irwin has died and Japan has finally a male heir etc. Actually that, I guess is another job opportunity right there, an English speaking radio DJ, I could deffintally be more interesting and articulate (I speak better than I write) , but I would assume by the nature of the topics they have a goal to be as uncontroversial and inconsequential as possiable. I don't know how good I would be at that.



I'm not convinced that there is any hope for me as an English teacher... one more week of classes and we will start teacher training with real children... I wish we could start wth old people and work our way down gently.

I am adjusting to Arabic, I have learnt written numbers, and basic greetings. Would have helped If I had bought a phrase book before hand, but I'm too cheap.

The dirt, dust and grime here has become a consistant part of daily life, There is no escaping it, I just have to accept it, it's no Switzerland. I have no problems with the insects, I'm not being bitten, I have named one of our more distinctive cockroches (fluffy, as it has a permantly attached bit of fluff on one of it's legs) and the flys are minimal, only about two in each room at a time and they are the little ones. My belly is slowly getting better, but I still can't trust a fart.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young crone,

You writing gives me giggles and wiggles, I gain the impression that you are a good sort.

Here is my decree: Once you have learned to speak English, hurry back to England and give me a tattoo on my buttocks. I wish for a tattoo of fluffy the cockroach, a nice tattoo of said cockroach, that will entice women to come closer when I drop my trousers in a nightclub, rather than them running away as they do now.

Prince Harry

1:05 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

The joy of an open blog site.

6:05 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home