Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Egypt, first impressions

My first impressions of Egypt started in Greece. My flight as at 1.10am. The queue at the boarding gate was more of a scrum. I let a crumpled old lady in infront of me, an uncrumpled lady took the opportunity to push the crumpled out the way. Hmmm, we had numbered seats.

Upon arrival, well before the seat belts sign was off, or the plane stopped the same scrum formed in the asles. after a 10 min wait of pushing and jeering (I stayed in my seat) we were off the plane into the airport buses.... that took us 100m to the airport building... that very same scrum formed again this time around the passport control. every page of my passport was checked by four seperate men in different uniforms, some stamped it, some took numbers, some just looked at it and nodded. baggage collection, customs and money changing I covered 20 meters in just over one hour.

A driver took me to the accomidation by 4.30am, who had no idea of who I was and what I wanted. but I eventually got a room for the night and moved into a new room this morning. this is where I shall be for the next month.



Egypt is lovely, reminds me a lot of South Korea in bussle and grime, except more open and breezy. I went out today at lunch time, so caught all the midday prayers, men line the streets in front of loud speakers, some groups all sit, others kneel, others stand. Some preachers sing, others intone verse deeply others sound like they are commentating a horse race, they are all loud. I only understand the context. I will have to learn some Arabic to get by. In Greece everybody spoke English, and in Italy I spoke crude French with random vowels added to the ends of words.

Sadly and stupidly I am still nursing a wee broken heart at the moment so don't feel like I am truly apprecating my journey. it's about time I had my heart broken, and I know there is never a good time for it, but it really makes traveling tough. I was hoping reading a soppy English love story would give my emotions an approperate outlet, but I find it's not something easly contained. I would normally be relishing every aspect of this experience, it is what I love. I just feel my perception and humor is a tanted by my frame of mind.

I never did manage to find someone in the hostel with clippers. So I went to a hairdresser just before I left greece and got a number 3. feels great.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same passport experience, all those years ago, they also wrote on it in Arabic and I had no idea what it said. Let's know what your fellow class mates are like. Love M

12:53 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hello Mistress Lenore, Thank you for your comments, Im going to try to get an image onto the MOB thread. I'm just a bit dumb at uploading.

Hello M.
are you my mother?
more information about the other 8 in my class as I get to know them. I have posted a picture of my shaved head... I look a lot like my brother now don't I.

3:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home