Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Summary of Egypt

Better just start with a summary (in the style of a high school friendship book) of the 7 weeks in Egypt before I forget it:

Best thing brought: Inflatable pillow, sunglasses (otherwise my eyeballs would have dried up by now).

Worst thing brought: Comb

Best thing bought: Burka

Worst thing bought: Taxi ride without knowing the price first

Most surprising: Ginger Arabs (really, orange eyelashes and brow on one guy)

Typically Egyptian: A man with a callus on his forehead from praying saying "nice bum"

What's ok: Cat poo in piles on the stairs of an apartment building

What's not ok: Eating with the left hand

What works: Juice bars, fresh mango or pomegranite juice a day. A brilliant system of dish washing.

What doesn't work: Any government organisation during Ramadan

What I learnt: WD40 is the Nectar of the Gods, I also learnt that all those letter 'r's that I leave off the end of words actually get used where a word ending in a vowel is next to a word starting with a vowel... so I can say: "Chinar and Canadar ae countries with cas." and I still use the correct amount of 'r's.

What I learnt to do: Cross motorways, lane by lane... don't like it, but I do it.

I knew I was in Africa when: I used my lovely precision slanted edged bevel tipped eyebrow tweezers to remove small stones from my flip-flops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home