Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My poor passport

My latest problem here is that I still don't have a Visa or my passport. The volunteer coordinator here insists I am legal as they have a copy of my Visa application form, but that is not a Visa - it is a Visa application from. I had a Visa, it expired on November 15th.

I keep asking them what is going on, and I get different information each time, also all the other volunteers have different information. I appear to be the person most attached to their passport and the one most stressed out about not having a Visa. Also, some of the information I know to be untrue, like today they said I had been registered with an authority since I arrived... except my passport didn't go near the registration until I was here for over a week.

And now, to totally stress me out... I have been told that I will not get my passport back until I leave. I have told them that I do not consent to this. my passport is property of the NZ government and my responsibility. I refuse to have it kept from me. I think they deem it safer: it is my passport and where my passport is to be kept is between me and the NZ government, no one else. How dare they confiscate it, how dare they think they have the right ot keep it for whatever reason.

I'm cheesed off... mmm cheese, cheese here is processed, comes in tins, or is strong white feta.

I can't get my passport until I have that Visa. I feel trapped by the red-tape. Once I have my passport showing legitimate status I'll be able to get a photo permit and apply to travel to the pyramids and to the Red Sea during the holidays (January).

In other news everything else if fine. My new flatmate Anna is great to live with, and dinner party invites are starting to roll in from Sudanese and Expats alike.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the British Consulate or Embassy. They most probably represent NZ and will be able to advise you re your passport. M

12:50 pm  
Blogger Mick said...

Please get your passport back Rachel. You're absolutely right. This is equal to imprisonment if you don't. Tell them you want to leave, report them to the Aliens Registration (behind the Libyan Embassy on the right as you go into town. You can easily walk there from your house). You know I wouldn't tolerate somebody confiscating my bike keys! Cheap flight to Nairobi? Leaving this Wednesday on renewed bike if you're up for it? Asphalt all the way to the Cape . . ! And you can save the world after. Good blog - and your spelling's getting better (he patronised!) you cured? Love to Anna XXX :-)

12:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey beautiful,

Just wanted to see if you got my big email or recived the phone yet?

my internet is acting up abit!

Miss you xxx

12:26 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey M.
Registered and connected.

Hey Mick.
Cannae leave, have a job to do, just wish they would make it easier. There is a new spell check funtion, pity it is not on the comments section.

Hey Miss Missy
No phone... it's most likely "lost" But I have a SIM card now, so if it does turn up I can use it straight away. I'll keep my fingers crossed

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm cheesed off... mmm cheese, cheese here is processed, comes in tins, or is strong white feta."

Surely Silent King Jesse would appreciate this most Homer-like of wanderings! Loved it myself! Joss

5:08 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Joss

it supprises me what i miss. I've managed to get hold of some salami that was smuggled in from the UK. Ah dead pig in a roll. Can't belive i was vegie for 7 years. Can live without the Alcohol, but real cheese, olives and cured meat is a bit harder.

7:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

}hi iam tarig from sudan from here hahahaha i like to help u to know what is the meaninh of nice place i know very nice place in sudan example
gabal awleya
47 kilo from kartuom
its is white nile
very nice place
and more nice place if u like to visit it iam ready to get u to that place in friday morning
tel me if u like and will b happy if u r agree to be our host in sudan
this is my nummber
00249912243643{

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home