Rachel Travels

Rachel thought a blog was the best way for other people to see what she was up to. It makes her feel special to write about herself in the third person.

Sunday, May 06, 2012

I went to a modern art gallery... and I liked it.

I went to the Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts. It was good, really good. This is surprising for me, I enjoy art, and I like galleries, but I don't like going to anywhere that has modern art. In London I avoid the Tate and go to the National Portrait Gallery, in New York I skipped the Museum of Modern Art and went to the Metropolitan. As wanky as that last sentence sounds, I just don't like modern art. There has been a recent blog post getting attention from someone who also just doesn't get it.

I did a one year course in the foundation of visual arts, I liked painting and drawing and printmaking, but I hated all the wanking on about crap, all the wallowing in lake me. I chose instead to do graphic design. Design takes information from the client and communicates it in the right way to reach the audience. I thought it had more point.

Anyway, I digress. In the Jordan National Gallery of Fine Arts (two buildings with a sculpture part in the middle) has beautiful modern art from all over the Middle East. It's interesting, it's skilled, and it looks good. Sure there is concept, but I don't feel like I need to 'get' anything, I could just look at it and think that's cool, or I like that.

Here are some pictures... (sorry I didn't get the details of the artist, artwork title, country or origin or anything useful like that)



















Fortunately for me there was a calligraphy exhibition in one of the gallery spaces.



The exhibition included some works from Iraqi calligrapher Hassan Massoudy, I had some of his work in postcard form up on my wall in my house in Edinburgh... I think I still have the postcards somewhere, anyway he's ace.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home